Blueberry and Banana Oatmeal with Lemon Crema
This is inspired by the comfort foods of my childhood, when warm oatmeal would always settle an upset stomach.
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 punnet fresh blueberries (about 150g) 1 whole ripe banana
For the lemon crema:
Zest of 1 lemon 150ml double cream
- Combine the oats, water and salt together in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Wash and pick through the blueberries, discarding any that appear bruised or damaged. Make sure that you dry the blueberries thoroughly. Set them aside.
- Peel the banana and cut into 4 equal parts and slice each part into 5 slices. Set them aside.
- To make the lemon crema, combine the lemon zest
and double cream in a small bowl, and whisk until slightly thickened.
- To assemble, take 4 medium bowls and add the warm oatmeal to each. Scatter the blueberries and bananas over the top of the oatmeal. Place a generous dollop of the lemon crema on top of each and serve.